Five Elevated Ways to Combat Cottonmouth
All stoners know the struggle of cottonmouth. We all hate the sensation of intense dry mouth that comes after we consume cannabis. It's 2022, and it’s time to figure out how to kill cottonmouth once and for all. We don’t have to live with a mouth as dry as a desert anymore!
Here are our helpful hints and tricks to combat cottonmouth and enjoy your high without an uncomfortably dry mouth:
- Water: First and foremost, the best defense is a good offense. An essential practice in many parts of life, this saying means to stay prepared and ready to attack an issue before it can become a problem. In this case, the issue is your mouth – and your first offensive move is to stay hydrated. Since our bodies are over 70% water, hydration is the most crucial element against dry mouth and throat. As we all know, water is the most important thing humans can ingest to keep themselves healthy. Staying hydrated also affects how fast your body can flush THC from your system.
- Chewing Gum: Now that you are always strapped with water and stay hydrated, we can move on to the next line of offense. It is affordable, simple, and small -- chewing gum. A pack of gum is a super easy item to keep handy, plus it fits in your purse or pants pocket. On top of this, chewing sugar-free gum causes the mouth to create saliva at ten times the regular rate – Can you say super mouth lubrication? Gum is also an easy way to make friends because people always need it, and if you have it, you can be the cool kid with gum! That’s hard to beat. If you don’t like gum, don’t worry, we have options for you too.
- Less Caffeine: Another great way to fight cottonmouth and help keep yourself healthy is to skip the caffeine. Hear me out, I don’t like this one either, but caffeine has a diuretic effect and dehydrates you by making you use the washroom a lot. That does not stop many of us from partaking in our morning coffee though. If you can’t, won't, or don’t want to give up your coffee or soda, you can combat caffeine's dehydration impact on your body. For each cup of coffee or two cups of black tea, you should drink one cup of water because consuming more water balances out the caffeine intake. While studies show that this practice may not be needed as much by people who get their caffeine from coffee, drinking water after your caffeinated beverages can only help and not hurt you.
- Sour Candy: Next is my favorite way to beat cottonmouth – sour candy! Pop a Warhead or any other of your favorite sour treats into your mouth, and you will be happy and no longer suffering from a desert in your mouth. Be careful with sugary treats, as sweet candies can be counterproductive since they can lead to cavities. Sugar-free hard candies can be a good alternative.
- Humidifier: Another great idea is to add a humidifier to your favorite smoking space. Placing one of these magical little machines that pump hydrating mist back into the air helps keep your nose, lips, and throat from getting too dry while you puff.
- Vaseline or Chapstick/Lip Balm: Our final suggestion to combat cottonmouth is to keep Vaseline, Chapstick, or other lip balms handy. Keeping your lips hydrated is a lifesaver if you live somewhere cold or windy.
We hope this quick list helps you on your journey to combat cottonmouth. By adding these six tips to your smoking habits, you are well on your way.
Stay Elevated, Hydrated, and Prepared!